The AASPA is proud to offer scholarships to deserving PA students who are interested in a career in surgery. It is one of just many benefits that we offer to our student members.
CONGRATULATIONS TO JORDAN SMITH, PA-S
WINNER OF THE AASPA 2012 SUSAN & TOM LUSTY MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP!!!
Jordan is a student at the University of Alabama-Birmingham Surgical PA Program and will graduate in December 2013. She has wanted to be a surgical PA since she was very young (wearing homemade x-ray glasses & a stethoscope!) and pursued this dream throughout her high school career taking extra science courses and graduating with 53 college credits. She received her undergraduate degree from Berry University where she qualified for a Presidential Scholarship.
Jordan has volunteered for over 800 patient care hours and, in 2010, went on a medical mission trip to Brazil with the International Children’s Heart Association, assisting in pre– and post-op care of pediatric cardiac patients. Seeing the critical need and lifechanging impact of this mission trip crystallized her pursuit of a surgical PA career. The Scholarship Committee and the Board of Directors of AASPA wish Jordan continued success on her surgical PA journey and are proud to be able to contribute to easing some of the financial burden.
Susan and Tom Lusty Memorial Scholarship
AASPA awards at least one scholarship yearly to a student in either the didactic or clinical year. Winners receive the following:
- $1000 award
- Scholarship certificate that is suitable for framing
- Complimentary registration to the annual AASPA CME Meeting & Surgical Update
- Ability to list "AASPA Student Scholarship Winner" on your resume
- Recognition in Sutureline and on our website
- AASPA's famous lapel pin
To qualify, the physician assistant student must:
- Be enrolled in an ARC-PA accredited PA program
- Demonstrate a financial need
- Be in good academic standing
- Be a student member of AASPA in good standing (membership application may be submitted with scholarship application)
- Demonstrate an interest in surgical practice
- Submit a completed AASPA Scholarship Application
How to Apply
To be considered, interested students should submit:
Download a Scholarship Application
- A letter from their PA program verifying student status, GPA and a transcript copy
- Financial need information in essay format
- A letter of recommendation from their PA program faculty member, surgical PA, surgeon or preceptor
- A short (500 word) narrative explaining their desire to practice in surgery and career goals
- List of completed/expected clinical rotations
- If necessary, an application for AASPA student membership and appropriate dues.
All information must be postmarked by July 1, 2013 and submitted to:
- Chair, Student Scholarship Committee
- P.O. Box 781688
- Sebastian, FL 32978
- Applications will not be considered complete until all the above information is received.
- For the 2013 application window (November 15, 2012 through July 1, 2013), all application information must be postmarked by July 1, 2013.
- Recipients will be notified by August 15, 2013.
- Awards will be announced and distributed at the AASPA CME Meeting in Alexandria.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final.