Transplant Surgery PAs serve as both surgery first assist and primary care PA for transplant patients. PAs are fully trained to assist in the operating room during transplant surgery. In addition, they help patients understand the complexities of transplantation and ensure that patients understand the medical regimen and correct follow-up.
Highly technical and demanding skills are mastered through years of physician assistant practice, master degree and post-graduate critical care residency.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collects and assesses medical histories
- Performs physical examinations and diagnostic tests
- Handles daily patient rounds (including the CVICU), patient education and discharge summaries
- Surgically assists surgeons in the OR in transplant procedures
- Enables continuity of care by managing patient care in pre-, intra- and post-operative settings