Become a PA
Congratulations on your interest in the surgical PA profession! Opportunities for PAs in medicine and surgery continue to explode, and are expected to continue to grow even more over the next 10-15 years.
Pre-PA Student Information
The Bureau of Labor Statistics, Money.com, CNN and others all rate the PA profession as one of the fastest growing careers over the next 10 years.PA Career Outlook
So you want to be a PA
As established and proven providers in the healthcare team, PAs have proven their ability to be charged and challenged with direct patient care and treatment. It is an exciting time to be a PA, PA student and even a PA applicant. The AASPA is here to help you fulfill your dream of becoming a PA, and we are committed to helping you grow stronger as a future colleague!
The strongest way to ensure your success as a PA applicant is to know exactly why you desire to become a PA, how your previous clinical and non-clinical experience has prepared you for a career as a clinician, and the intense extent of training necessary to achieve this responsibility. The ability to answer these questions is dependent on the knowledge of the roles of PAs and developments and news in the field.
What do you do now?
- Learn as much as you can about the PA profession and surgical specialties. You can begin here with our section on The Surgical PA.
- Talk to PAs and shadow them for a day to get a real understanding of what PAs are doing everyday. To be part of our mentoring program, email AASPA.
- Visit www.CASPAonline.org. You can use this portal to apply to most PA programs.
- Work hard and perform strongly in upper level sciences to be a competitive PA program applicant. Consider taking Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology and Abnormal Psychology. Each program will have its own unique list of required courses needed to apply.
- Consider participating in AASPA as a Pre-PA member. You’ll get great information on the PA profession and jobs and it looks great on a PA program application.
- Review our information on essays and interviews, including Tips for your PA Application, Preparing for an Interview and Interviewing Strategies.
Surgical PA Students
AASPA proudly serves the unique needs of PA and Pre-PA students interested in Surgery, Critical Care or Trauma
Why Become an AASPA Member?
If you are even moderately interested in Surgery, Critical Care or Emergency Medicine then you need AASPA membership. AASPA membership is a great way to improve your PA program application or resume, make connection with PA professionals and get current job listings.Join Now - Apply Online View Membership Benefits
AASPA has been proud to sponsor a scholarship for students in an ARC-PA approved program who have a surgical interest.Learn About Scholarships
Student Loan Questions Answered!
AASPA has partnered with DRB Student Loan and hosted a free "Student Loan Best Practices" webinar specifically for surgical PAs.
The student loan marketplace has evolved, and options now exist which allow PAs to refinance their student loans to much lower interest rates (starting at 3.515% variable, 4.075% fixed for AASPA Members w/ autopay).
The free webinar was held on Wednesday, December 7th.
Questions that were addressed:
- How can I lower my interest rate?
- How much money do I stand to save by refinancing?
- How do I qualify for the 0.125% rate discount that DRB is offering AASPA Members?
- Will refinancing have any effect on my credit or ability to purchase a home?
- Will the government help me repay my loans if I work in a rural or underserved area?
- How will the proposed legislative changes to federal repayment programs affect me?
The online presentation was followed by Q&A and recorded.